Update: We are happy to announce the position has been filled – thank you everyone for your interest!
- The Critteraid Volunteer Caretaker is a live-in volunteer position, that assists in the care of a variety of animals (cats, guinea pigs, horses, alpacas, cow, donkeys, etc.) living at the Sanctuary, under the supervision of the Critteraid Directors. The Caretaker ensures all animals are cared for on a daily basis regarding food and water, administering treatments and medications as required, and for maintaining appropriate, clean and safe living conditions.
- The Critteraid Volunteer Caretaker will train volunteers at the cat sanctuary as well as pasture volunteers in routine cleaning chores.
- This position requires approximately three to five (3 – 5) hours per day, and is ideal for a working person or couple. Personal animals are welcome (upon Director approval), but Caretaker must provide for their own food and health care.
Living accommodations (two-bedrooms) on the top floor of the Cat Sanctuary are provided. All utilities except personal phone are included (electrical, gas, water, cable, internet).
Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintaining animal feeding and watering schedules.
- Daily animal health care, administering medications as required, and maintaining animal treatment records.
- Monitoring the health of the animals on an ongoing basis and rapidly identifying any health problems or conditions (medical or behavioural) and immediately reporting them to the appropriate Director.
- Daily cleaning duties, and maintaining the Sanctuary areas when volunteers are absent.
- Providing a healthy, safe, clean and pleasant environment and facilities for the animals, Sanctuary volunteers, and the public.
- Training and supervising Sanctuary and Pasture volunteers.
- Treating all animals humanely, properly and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance.
- Completing Sanctuary projects as assigned.
- Weekend and holiday hours are required to maintain daily schedule of duties.
- Must be able to work in all outdoor weather conditions (cold, rain, snow/ice, heat, etc.).
- Some heavy lifting will be required (i.e., feed bags, hay bales, etc.).
- Interacting with Sanctuary volunteers, who may be on the premises between 8:00am and 8:00pm daily.
- Passionate about working for and with animals.
- Reliable and dependable.
- Good animal behaviour and observation skills.
- Ability to work well with a variety of animals (including people ).
- Strong communication and listening skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Able to follow detailed instructions and meet time sensitive demands.
- Able to learn and process new information quickly.
- Team player and self motivator.
- Comfortable dealing with the general public.
- Committed to Critteraid’s mission and a desire to be part of the Critteraid family.
- Must have valid driver’s license and have own reliable vehicle.
As the care of the animals in the Sanctuary is of utmost importance, there is a six month probationary period for this position, with reviews held monthly (or more frequently as deemed necessary by the
To apply for this position
Please submit your resume, including two references,
- by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org/critteraid;
- or by mail to: Box 235, 113-437 Martin Street, Penticton, BC V2A 5L1.
Please indicate “Live-In Caretaker Position” in your correspondence.